PASSAIC COUNTY, N.J. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Passaic County.
- A Clifton man shot and killed himself with an off-duty Paterson police officer's weapon in an apparent suicide at a Fourth of July party at the officer's Totowa home, authorities confirmed.
- Police brought three Carlstadt children to safety over a backyard fence Wednesday night after their father shot and killed their mother on the front lawn of their home before killing himself.
- A 1.1-magnitude earthquake in the Butler area jolted some North Jersey towns a little after midnight Monday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
- Passaic County sheriff's officers grabbed three men in Prospect Park with 1,000 folds of heroin worth about $4,000 on the street after following their BMW from Paterson, authorities said.
- Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik wants participants to "push themselves to the limit" at this summer's Junior Police Academy in Wayne.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.